Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Apricot Galette with Paleo "Pate Sucre" Crust and Vanilla Flavoured Honey


This apricot pie came to life in a minute when I saw the abudance of apricots in season at the market, and all of them are so honey sweet, it was just impossible not to make this pie. It all came nicely together for the first try and I must say this recipe is a keeper. I had some guests and they really loved it too, alhough they had no idea about paleo lifestyle or at first taste about the ingredients of this pie, but when I disclosed the real nature of this dessert they thought it to be very special (for beginners: when you say "paleo" they shout "freak" most of the time...). So I was very glad. Over the top glad. It vanished in no time.


Apricot Galette

1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup shredded coconut
1,1/2 cup ground almonds
2 egg yolks
3 tbsp honey
1 vanilla bean
10 apricots

Grind the almonds and coconut to a fine meal. Add the coconut oil, 1 tbsp honey and egg yolks. Form a ball of it and chill in the fridge for about half an hour. When chilled, form the pie with your hands and cut the edges. Place the sliced apricots on the batter and fold the remaining dough onto them around the edges. In a clean little bowl mix the remaining 2 tbsp honey and the seeds of the vanilla bean and pour it onto the apricots.  Bake it on 347 F for about 30 min. Serve on room temperature for the "pate sucre" consistency. 


7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to try this! Apricot pie is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll like them, pls leave a comment on how they turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I messed it up substituting coconut flour for shredded coconut. I hope I can still salvage it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that would make it bad, there's enough coconut oil to keep it moist. Keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and it was fabulous--the best paleo-ish desert I've made so far. (i accidentally used all 3 tablespoons of honey in the crust and did a strawberry balsamic filling instead, but the basic crust recipe is something i will come back to over and over again... THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already have almond meal and almond flour, can I just use these, and if so how much?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I'm curious, would it be possible to add the nutrition values (carbs, protein, fats) to this recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Check out my photos on Flick Email me