Friday, December 16, 2011

Chocolate-Hazelnut Cake (paleo; gluten/sugar/dairy free)


I do not think that this cake needs a long introduction, I believe the pictures speak for themselves. This is indeed an extraordinary cake in both terms of outstanding flavor and the quickness of whipping together.
Chocolate and hazelnut is a perfect combination, but I am not the first to discover this of course. At first I named it "Nutella Cake" but later when I made the ought to be chocolate and hazelnut spread (Nutella) at home it became clear to me that real Nutella sitting on the shelves of the markets has not much to do with chocolate and less to do with hazelnut paste. This cake however is utterly chocolaty and hazelnutty, which flavors are so overwhelming and utterly unique together, that I would trade my old understanding of what Nutella is for this one any time. And after tasting this cake, you will say the same I am sure. :)


For the recipe and some more story-telling, please click on the picture below.
Please leave a comment and tell me how you liked it - on my other blog the readers and home-bakers have been raving about it ever since I posted it - and I am very curious about you!
Please click for recipe!

Paleoliscious

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is heaven :) Looks totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onionchoco, you got that right! :) I am gonna try to keep it up, hope you gonna like what's to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this recipe is ridiculous , and very hard to understand

      Delete
  3. Hi! The recipe says Almond Butter, but then in the instructions to make it, it says put the Hazelnuts in the processor;
    "The almond butter is prepared in the following way: you put the hazelnut into a food processor with an S blade and let it chop the almond for about 12 minutes, so that it has the texture of peanut butter."

    Is it Almond butter or should I use Hazelnuts? Just want to be sure I make it right. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, since you need almond butter instead of the real butter you are making almond butter using almonds. Sorry for the mistype. But of course you can make hazelnut butter instead of almond butter, if you'd prefer your cake to be very hazelnutty, that would be lovely too I guess!
    Can't wait to get your feedback, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

  6. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..



    the paleo diet


    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe is fantastic but I found it very hard to understand the instructions. A recipe should be in separate paragraphs for each step. I was completely confused when I first read it. I did a little bit of editing so you can get an idea of how I think people can understand it better:

    THE CAKE

    18cm round cake pan
    130g 70% dark chocolate
    100g hazelnut
    100g agave syrup or honey
    4 eggs
    100g almond butter
    Pinch of salt

    1. Roast the hazelnuts in the oven at 180°C for about 10 mins. After you take them out, place them in a dish towel and rub them roughly so that most of the skin comes off.

    2. Chop the hazelnuts coarsely in a food processor - don't make them too fine like flour or meal.

    3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

    4. Turn on your oven to 175°C.

    5. Separate the eggs, and whip the yolks with the honey/agave syrup until fluffy, whisk in the almond butter,chocolate and hazelnut.

    6. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until fluffy. Then gently fold in the chocolate batter with one third of the batter at a time.

    7. Pour the mix into a pan lined with parchment paper and bake for about 30 minutes - do NOT overbake.

    8. When it's done, let it cool down for a few hours. Once it's completely cool, prepare the frosting and pour it over the cake. Garnish with hazelnuts or anything else you fancy.

    FROSTING

    100g 70% dark chocolate
    1 tbs olive or coconut oil

    *The frosting is going to harden so you may want to add coconut/almond milk when the chocolate becomes liquid in the double boiler to make it more creamy.

    You did a great job with this recipe and the pictures are beautiful!!! Can't wait to make it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Check out my photos on Flick Email me