Thursday, January 31, 2013

Banana Pancakes: Naturally sweet, light and gluten-free! (gluten/sugar/dairy free, paleo)


These trully gluten-, dairy- and sugar-free babies received a huge rave on my Hungarian blog. They have a steady seat in my top 10 gluten-free/paleo recipe list. They are variable and oh so satisfying. 
Depending on how much flour you use these babies changes texture from almost bread like to so fluffy you can barely hold them with your hands. 
They are amazing freshly bakes and they are equally good cold (it happend only once that they had time to cool down completely, for I have tripled the amount and demanded my family to leave some for afternoon snack after our weekend nap). 
Kids and grown-ups equally love it and cannot stop at one. 
They are the perfect weekend brunch material, or a lazy morning recipe to bring to bed for your loved ones with some aromatic, freshly brewed coffee, since they are very quick to make and while cooking them they fill the house with a sweet cake smell noone can resist.

Pouring some maple syrup... for pure indulgence. 
I've always loved pancakes but was never the fan of the thick texture. Always preferred crépes.
However these pancakes have an American pancake like quality, but still much lighter in texture and their naturally sweet taste complements any fresh fruit that goes along with it or just the extra sprince of cinnamon.

Not another praise from me, try them now and heart me later. :)





14 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! Just a quick question about the flour options... which did you use?? Almond and coconut are quite drastically different in terms of density and moisture retention. And I've never used rice flour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, I have used rice flour. But I have used almond meal too and both of them are good. While making you will see how much to add to reach the pancake consistency, which is the same as normal pancake consistency. How much you add also depends on how thick you like your pancake. I tried adding less and more, both work very well. It is kinda fool proof. Only risk is flipping them, at that point you have to be gentle and also important to bake them on low or low-medium heat so you can flip them confidently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made pancakes with coconut flour, which is my favourite flour, but they didn't turn out that great - they broke apart. I am grain and nut free so coconut flour is my only option. So I am still seeking a good pancake recipe. Maybe some tapioca flour might work to bind the mixture together. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, they are fragile. That is the reason why I make them to be small like a woman's palm, plus it is very important to cook them on medium-low heat so they firm up.

      Delete
  4. Breakfast without pancakes is not real breakfast!
    I will definitely try to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, tell me how they turned out!

      Delete
  5. Made them this morning, followed the recipe except I added almond flour instead of rice flour, and substituted the coconut oil also, because we didn't have any at home. I made them normal size and my family of 4 ate quite well, 2 pancakes each. So it was a big success!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you and your family liked it, thank you for sharing your opinion! Hope you will like my other recipes too!

      Delete
  6. Just made these using Trader Joe's Gluten Free All Purpose flour - worked VERY well. Added some almond butter in the mix (1 Tbsp for 1/4 of the recipe), which was awesome and made them more less fragile. Topped them with a little raspberry jam and ate with coffee. Amazing way to start a day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am so glad you liked them!

      Delete
  7. These aren't paleo.

    Rice isn't paleo...

    Is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are right about that, rice is not paleo. However you can substitute the rice flour if you have some great paleo flour, that is why I said it could be made paleo easaily.

      Delete
    2. would you sub almond flour, for example, one-for-one?

      Delete
    3. You can try it with almond flour, if that is flour and not ground almonds. Ground almonds would work too I think, however it will definitely yield another consistency, flavour and texture. But I do recommend trying other options. :)

      Delete

Follow me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Check out my photos on Flick Email me